Sunday, December 7, 2008

New song

In our Essentials Red Course, we had a creative project, and I chose to write a song, because that is the direction that my heart has been calling me for years, but I have been neglecting it.

This course taught me so much, and I am very thankful to have taken it. The song I wrote, simply called "Make You Glad" and it was written out of Psalm 45. This Psalm has always been on my heart and I love the rich phrasing such as, "My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." I feel that this song calls out to the prophetic voice inside of us. If we are truly connected to Him, the music should be overflowing out of us.

I began to think of the many ways we can please our God, but mainly the two ways that much of the church fears doing in their own way, which is singing and dancing. I have found that the most rich prayer I have ever had has been the prayers that I have SUNG. No rhyme, no real thought put into a chord structure...just singing prayers. I think we need to find a new freedom in our music and our prayer and how we show Him our adoration. He is the King of all, the Uncreated One! How can we just stand when we are in His presence?

One of the things I struggled with was writing from scripture. I have a lot of thoughts in my brain of who Jesus is and how He loves me, and the foundation is biblical, but I usually like to write out of my brain, rather than try and fit a scripture to a song. I don't know why I have always struggled wtih that, but I definitely have. So this time, I decided, since I loved Psalm 45 so much, I wanted to try and put my twist on it and make it a worship song. I'm not so sure how well I did, adding my own lyrics in and keeping the theme. I felt like a lot of this was related with the "bridal paradigm" of Jesus (the kimg) and the Church (the beautiful daugher).

I plan on doing this during our corporate worship times at my local church where I lead. Here are the lyrics (click the title for the MP3, on our church's myspace page):

Make You Glad (Psalm 45)

My heart overflows with a pleasing theme
I address my song to the one and only king
Receive my heart, Oh Lord, Receive my song
As the fragrance leaves my lips and rises up to you

My spirit is quickening
The air is thickening

May my music make You glad
As I enter Your throne room
Be pleased with my beauty
As I dance for You
I will usher You in
As You gird Your sword on Your side

Clothed in splendor and majesty
And You will ride out victoriously
With Your heart full of humility
You will display awesome deeds

I wanna dance for you
And a song I will sing
I wanna please you
With a beautiful theme
You are calling out
To Your beautiful bride
And I’m responding
With a song of love

4 comments:

Hilary Ladd said...

Here you are! Was wondering who Goshen House was, and now I find it's Rachel. Hi! I really liked Jon Foreman's song. I also really liked your song! So very raw and honest. Childlike almost. Wanting God to be pleased with your dancing. Love it. I may play it sometime, if that's alright?

Goshen House said...

Hey sure! Go for it! I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, sorry about the confusion of "goshen house." It's my church (obviously, at this point), and this was meant to be our blog, but I'm the only one on the computer enough to keep up with it, so I took it over!

I really love the idea of "dancing" because we are so afraid of it. You and Crystal (I think?) were discussing this on the last discussion post, right? Or maybe it was Crystal that brought it up, i don't remember, but yeah, I love worshiping Him in freedom.

Hilary Ladd said...

Exactly!

I mentioned something about pews constricting our movement and helping us develop the mindset of no dancing in church.

I love it when people dance in worship. It's awesome. I don't know what I like more. People who are really fabulous dancers dancing for God, or people who really aren't good at all and are completely uninhibited before God...

Unknown said...

Great song of response. It definitely has the right feel for dancing too.